This vegetarian Swedish meatballs recipe is a far cry from how I used to eat. When I became a vegetarian, I was so opposed to fake meat products that I didn’t even try veggie burgers for a couple years. To this day, I still lean toward meat substitutes that DON’T taste like meat. This just mirrors the fact that I was never a huge meat fan. I don’t like the texture of meat, or the taste.
I’ve received compliments for two decades, from friends, family and strangers alike. “That’s so admirable,” “wow that takes dedication,” etc … but for me, once I made the decision, it was a relief, not a hardship. I felt free to eat the foods I liked and enjoyed.
Unfortunately, the foods I love are mostly high carb and high fat (cheese and pasta, you kill me!) Years later, actually decades (eek), I embrace the need for protein and balancing out carbs and fat. But you probably won’t see me eating a “bleeding” Beyond Meat burger. Thus, more recipes like these vegetarian Swedish meatballs 🙂 And when I see my meat friends love it just as much as me, I know it’s a winner. I hope you feel the same!
VEGETARIAN SWEDISH MEATBALLS in the SLOW COOKER RECIPE
These vegetarian Swedish meatballs in the slow cooker will even make meat lovers drool. Step by step, we’ll walk you through this easy recipe. Plus we’ll walk you through the vegan version.
- 4 sprays cooking spray (whatever it takes to coat the slow cooker base)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 can cream of broccoli or cream of mushroom soup (avoid cream of onion soup, or it will be too intense with the other flavors in the recipe)
- 1 packet french onion soup mix
- 30 vegetarian meatballs (you can use any kind, but the Aldi ones are way more cost effective)
- 2/3 cups nonfat greek yogurt
- 1/4 cups half and half
- 1.5 cups egg noodles
- 2/3 cups water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped parsley to taste
- Spray slow cooker with cooking spray and add vegetarian broth. Whisk in flour until smooth. Stir in cream soup and onion soup mix.
- Add meatballs to sauce in slow cooker and stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours.
- Add egg noodles and water; cook on low for an additional 20 minutes.
- Uncover and stir in half and half and greek yogurt. Cook an additional 20 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in fresh parsley.
To make this recipe vegan, sub:
Plant based milk plus 4 TB vegan cream cheese for cream soup
Non dairy yogurt for Greek yogurt
Non dairy coffee creamer for half and half
Regular pasta or mashed potatoes for egg noodles (may need to cook longer and add more water for pasta, especially if you are using whole wheat)
The slow cooker I use - it's fantastic because you can program it and leave house for hours - it automatically kicks over to warm when done to keep the food from burning until you can get to it:
Serving Size:1/4 recipe
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 428 Total Fat: 19.5g Carbohydrates: 35.8g Protein: 29.1g